If there's one thing that defines much of Port Townsend, it's being on the water. Wooden boats, fishing, rowing sculls and a host of other watercraft enjoy the waters here year round. This is the home of the Wooden Boat Foundation and all maritime trades. Getting to Port Townsend by boat is the historically correct way of course! From Captain George Vancouver in 1792, boats of all sorts have played a major role in this community. There are numerous marinas and moorage options, both right near downtown or close by.
For those of you that need to launch your vessel, check out the Boat Haven or Point Wilson for their boat launching ramps, and see this web site for all the launches in Jefferson County.
Boating - (Location: 48.104012 N, 122.794457 W)
- Adventuress, Sound Experience - Sound Experience is a Puget Sound-based environmental and youth leadership organization that uniquely delivers its programs aboard the 133' historic wooden schooner Adventuress. Day or overnight programs where participants experience the majesty and vulnerability of Puget Sound - and why the future of our marine environment matters to all of us.
- Agate Pass Power Squadron - Safe boating through education.
- Boat Charters - Choose between whale watching, wildlife tours, rowing and sailing -fine ways to enjoy the seeing our Victorian Seaport from the water or just "muck about in boats".
- Boating Safety - US Coast Guard information.
- Local Notice to Mariners - Important information for all boaters.
- Kayaking - Local kayaking and boating information.
- Northwest Boaters Net - Amateur Radio Net sponsored By Pt Ludlow Yacht Club.
- Northwest Maritime Center & Wooden Boat Foundation - Visit us in our new facility in downtown Port Townsend at the end of Water Street. We offer sailing programs for youth and adults beginning at age 5 as well as sailing charters for you, your family or entire family reunion. See boats being built in our Boat Shop, stop by our Wooden Boat Chandlery full of nautical gifts and traditional boat parts and grab a coffee or have a bite to eat in our Aldrich’s Galley.
- Point Wilson Sail and Power Squadron - Part of the US Power Squadron. We offer some free boating education classes and some paid classes (for educational materials), We are a member based social organization but our main focus is education for boaters both members and the general public. Meets the third Tuesday at 6PM at the Port Townsend YC.
- Port of Port Townsend - Boat Haven and Point Hudson Marina, Boat Yard/Ship Yard, moorage, hauling and dry dock. Incredible array of marine businesses and services.
- Port Townsend Yacht Club - Baggywrinkle newsletter and more!
- Puget Sound Express - Whale Watching, passenger ferry service, Port Townsend to San Juan Islands and special group events.
- Pleasant Harbor Marina - South of Port Townsend on Hood Canal, 1-800-547-3479.
- Rat Island Rowing and Sculling Club - provides opportunity to youth and adults in the Port Townsend community to learn and improve sweep and scull rowing skills through recreational and competitive rowing programs, and to preserve and celebrate the legacy of traditional wooden racing shells.
- US Coast Guard 13th District Pacific - Regional CG info and contacts.
- NOAA Tide Predictions - For Port Townsend.
- Crossing the Strait of Juan de Fuca - info on winds, buoy data, tides, routes, etc.
- Jefferson County Marine Resources Committee - Protecting and restoring marine habitats in our ecologically rich corner of the world. Voluntary Eelgrass Protection Zone information.