With the Olympic Mountains on one side and Port Townsend Bay on the other, the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the north and access to both salt and fresh water, Port Townsend is a unique location for recreational opportunities.
In town are many easily accessible city parks to enjoy for picnics, play or quiet reflection. Three State Parks, with two more nearby, and marine access round out the possibilities. A short distance away reside Olympic National Park and Olympic National Forest. Hood Canal and the Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary are also close by. Cycling, hiking, beachcombing, sailing and the annual Rhody Run...there's much to do.
We are proud of our natural environment, and encourage the wise and considerate use of it. Take only photos, leave only footprints. If you are considering cutting down a Christmas tree in the National Forest or other public lands, check to see about permits.
Hey Kids...need some fun suggestions of things to do? Port Townsend is full of great opportunities including swimming at Mountain View Pool and the Jefferson County YMCA. Find more in the Youth/Kids Activities page and in the Event Calendar.
Jefferson County Parks & Recreation has a slew of activities including PT Rec Center Drop in Program, afterschool programs, kids triathlon, the fun runs and lots more! Visit our Youth Page for other suggestions.
Search the database for Recreation Businesses in the area.
- Bicycling - Lots of quiet rural roads and trails.
- Boating and Sailing - Port Townsend Bay and San Juan access.
- Whale/Wildlife Watching - A PNW highlight!
- Birding - Wonderful birdwatching opportunities.
- City Parks, County Parks, State & National Parks - camping and recreation opportunities.
- Day Trips - from 1 to 8 hours.
- Kayaking - Unlimited possibilities.
- Hiking - Local and Olympics!
- Fishing and Shellfishing - Best in the US!
- Dogs - Where to take the pups.
- Horseback Riding - Facilities and trails.
- Golfing - Places to play.
- Running - Trails and events.
- Swimming/Diving - Pool and beaches.
- Softball & Baseball - Lots of local teams.
- Gymnastics - Fun on the mat.
- Tennis - Various courts.
- Disc Golf - Where can they go?
- Ultimate Frisbee - Join in!
Know of local recreational information that we've missed? Tell us about it through the Feedback Form.