On Saturday December 14th, tour beautifully decorated 19th Century buildings and homes with historically costumed docents, seasonal music, and holiday treats. Tickets $15/person.
Tours run 1-4pm.
Ticketed guests are invited to tour a number of Port Townsend's beautiful homes decorated in Victorian holiday splendor. Seasonal entertainments including live music greet you as you catch a glimpse of holiday spirits of Christmas past. Tickets strongly recommended as this event usually sells out. Walk-ups can check start at the Old Consulate Inn (313 Walker St) to see if space remains available on Dec 14th.
When: Saturday, December 14, 1-4pm
Where: Start at the Old Consulate Inn, 313 Walker St, PT directions
Who: All ages - some historical venues are not ADA accessible
What: Victorian parlors with seasonal treats and festive entertainments
How: $15 in advance strongly recommended
Old Consulate Inn - Also known as the Frank Hastings house. Frank Hastings was the second son of Port Townsend founders Lauren and Lucinda Hastings. He arrived in Port Townsend as a boy and went on to pursue many vocations including serving in the second senate of the new state of Washington in 1891. The house was built in 1889 across from the courthouse, but wasn't completed until 1907. It features a beautiful curving stairway and elegant parlor decorated for holiday festivities and featuring a baby grand piano and nautical portal, now set with stained glass.
Quimper Inn - Known as the Harry Barthrop house, it was built in 1888 and had a very nice re-model done by the Barthrops in 1904. Harry was killed in a hunting accident in 1908 but his wife, Gertie lived in the house alone until 1947. In the 1904 re-model, the front porches were added, the 3rd floor was converted into living space, and the beautiful built-ins in the dining room with their leaded glass doors were added. along with these improvements, the house was probably electrified, and plumbed at that time. In the past years there have been about 7 owners including the present owner, Sue Ramage. The house has been run as a bed and breakfast since 1970 and is to the present day.
Griffiths House - James W. Griffiths was a seafaring entrepreneur and a partner in the Port Townsend firm of Griffiths, Bridges & Stetson, brokering to over 300 ships of both domestic and foreign registry. He arrived in Port Townsend in 1888 and prospered during its boom period. His house on Morgan Hill was completed in 1890 at a cost of $5,500. When the Port Townsend economy collapsed, Griffiths reportedly left the town "stone broke" to renew his fortune elsewhere. The second owners bought the house before 1900 for several hundred dollars.
Bishop Victorian Hotel - This lovely three story brick building was erected in 1891 as a freight storage facility by William Bishop Sr., one of the more storied pioneers in Jefferson County history. The building was designed by architect Charles Packard and built at a cost of $15,000. Standing sentinel at the base of the bluff, The Bishop has had several incarnations as businesses have ebbed and flowed through the years, including a carriage and buggy factory at the turn of the century, an attorney's office, and even housing the Port Townsend Soda Works from 1911 through 1920.
Buy tickets here: http://op-s.net/yule2019.php#parlor