Name: John E. Fuge House
Year Built: c. 1879
Location: 1609 Washington St.
Area: Uptown Port Townsend
Mr. John Edgecomb Fuge built this house in 1879 as a home for his family. Mr. Fuge was a ship's carpenter originally from Plymouth, England. He, his wife Eliza and, subsequently, his descendants lived in the home until 1962.
The house is an example of the Italianate style. Originally, the house was heated with coal and had no indoor plumbing. There was a tin tub in the kitchen where hot water could be heated. (The owners still have the tub!)
Mr. Fuge used his shipwright's craft to good advantage in the house. The front staircase is built with only a single nail, and after over 130 years, still does not squeak.
The woodwork in the house was faux grained throughout, and much of it remains today. (The rest has been restored.)
Mr. Fuge owned the block that the house is sited on, and built the three cottages immediately to the east, as well.