Barthrop HouseName: Harry Barthrop House (now Quimper Inn B & B)
Year Built: 1880
Location: 1306 Franklin Street
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

Built by Henry Morgan in 1888 as a simple two-story square Georgian-style house with a double-hipped roof, this stately home was remodeled by Harry Barthrop and his wife, Gertrude. The couple met in Coupeville, on Whidbey Island, and were married on June 11, 1896. They bought this house in 1904 and immediately began remodeling it.

The Barthrops changed the entire look of the exterior. They created a third floor through the addition of gables and dormers, enlarged the front porch, and added a second-story porch. They enlarged the windows and added the bays on both sides of the house. They fashioned the remodeling after the style of Richardson and Sullivan, forefathers of the Chicago School of Modern Architecture. The second story shingled arches and the roof brackets are prominent features of this turn of the century movement.

The Barthrops made a lot of interior changes as well, including the addition of closets and woodwork detail, which survive to this day. Harry died in 1908, but Gertrude lived in the home until 1946. During its lifetime this house was used as a private home, a boarding house, nurses' living quarters, a warehouse for furniture, and an inn.

Some much-needed restoration was done in the early 1970s. New foundation, plumbing, and electrical projects were completed. The color was returned to its original white. For several years it was operated as the Quimper Inn. Then it served as a private home again for a while. The current owners fell under the house's spell, and after living in it for a year and a half they decided to put up the "Quimper Inn" sign again.

See also: Quimper Inn B&B

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Name: Dr. Lee Baker House
Year Built: 1898
Location: 905 Franklin Street
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

This handsome bed and breakfast inn has a commanding view of downtown Port Townsend and the harbor. The current owners have done extensive renovations to the house since they bought it in 1979. One of their first projects was the veranda, which wraps around three sides of the house. The Victorian garden is their most recent project. A fish pond with raised seating and a water fountain statue enhance the courtyard garden.

Baker arrived in Port Townsend from Nebraska in the 1800s. A dentist by profession, he ventured into business with Ed Sims, with whom he built a cannery. He also owned several large canneries on Puget Sound and in Alaska. The local cannery was eventually destroyed by fire. Baker remained an active community participant until moving to Seattle in 1905.

Baker and his wife, Adelaide, were the first residents of this house. Adelaide's father, Thomas M. Hammond, was a native of Ireland. He is recognized as one of the first 10 settlers to take a donation claim in the city of Port Townsend. Sarah Hammond, Adelaide's mother, was a native of New York. She bore 12 children and lived to the age of 81.

Little is known about subsequent owners of the house. However, a guest of the current owners remembers visiting his grandmother, Ida Plummer Terry, there in about 1922. We know that Ida's husband, Fred M. Terry, was a dairyman, farmer, contractor, and superintendent of the Port Townsend Electric Street Railway, and Puget Power and Light Company. He also brought the first locomotive engine to the Olympic Peninsula, which was used to grade city streets.

The current owners raised the house, built a full basement, and changed the heating system from hot air to hot water. They also revised the electrical system, replaced the roof, chimney, windows, and doors, and removed aluminum siding. They saved as much original wood trim and as many doors as possible.

They created the Victorian garden, but the exquisite Queen Elizabeth rose bush and numerous other rose bushes are from the past. Visitors to the Baker House are invited to enjoy the pleasure of the courtyard garden with its fragrant scent of roses and the trickling sounds of water.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Name: Jonathan J. Bishop House
Year Built: 1889
Location: 608 Root Street
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

Little is known about Howard S. Wright, who built this multi-gabled house in 1889 as a speculative venture. The house has become known as the Jonathan Bishop House because that branch of the Bishop family lived there for many years. In fact, Mrs. Bishop, now in her 90s, lives in the small house to the rear of the property.
Originally, there were three houses of the same design standing side by side, but the other two have been torn down. The foundation of one still remains in the vacant lot next to the Bishop House, and the lot was used as an orchard for a while.

Jonathan's name first appears in local records in 1897, when he is listed as an attorney residing on Morrison Street. It is quite possible that he and his wife, Pauline, were the first occupants of this house. In later years Jonathan served as county assessor, treasurer, and auditor, as well as clerk of the court. He is also listed as ex-officio clerk of the superior court.

Jonathan was the third son of William Bishop, an English sailor who jumped ship in the Straits of Juan de Fuca in 1853 at the age of 28, and settled in Chimacum Valley. William had three children by his first wife, an Indian woman. His second son by that wife, also named William, served many years as a senator in the state legislature.
The senior Bishop eventually divorced his Indian wife and married Hannah, an Englishwoman, by whom he had three more children. Bishop operated a successful dairy farm and cheese factory in Chimacum, and retired to Port Townsend, where he built the mansion on Van Ness, as well as the Bishop Block on Washington Street, now the home of the Bishop Hotel.

The Jonathan Bishop house was "modernized" for the first time in the 1950s. A photo in The Leader in 1978 shows it being restored by owners Dr. and Mrs. Peter Geerlof. Doug Palmer bought the house in 1980. Palmer wanted a widow's walk, so he had the formerly pointed roof cut off and added a railing that he had shipped from Pakistan.
The original structure was square with bay windows only on the side. The front of the house has seen extensive modification: a bay was added on the first floor, and in 1990 the outdoor porch on the second floor was closed in.

In 1991 a broken-down shed standing to the rear of the house was removed and the garage addition was built. It contains a laundry and upstairs room that will eventually serve as Palmer's office. Brown shake shingle siding has replaced the original wood siding, and new and larger black-and-white-trimmed windows let in added light.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Name: John Trumbull House
Year Built: 1891
Location: 925 Wilson Street
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

The Trumbull family and their six children came from Glasgow, Scotland in 1866 and settled in Cresco, Iowa. A number of the older sons later moved to Port Townsend and Port Angeles. The parents continued to live in Cresco for 27 years and had six more children. The senior Mr. Trumbull died in 1893. His wife left Iowa in 1903 to join her sons in Port Townsend. She died in 1921.

At one time or another a number of well-known local historical figures held title to the land on which the Trumbull House stands. The original 1867 land grant shows that approximately 320 acres were granted to Thomas and Sarah Hammond by President Andrew Johnson in 1867.

The senior Trumbull's sons John and Thomas, and their wives, jointly built the Trumbull House, although apparently, only John and his family actually lived in it. In 1891 before completion of the house, the failing economy took its toll and the Trumbulls almost lost the property because of problems with liens and nonpayment of taxes. The cloud on the title was subsequently lifted with the help of two lending institutions, called sureties in those days.
John Trumbull was a lawyer and was the recipient of some notoriety when he stood trial in Seattle for issuing false certificates to admit illegal Chinese laborers. He was acquitted of all charges, but soon left Port Townsend to practice law in Seattle. Not much more is known of him or his family.

The house had a checkered history after the Trumbulls sold it. It has changed hands many times, for as little as $8,000 and as much as $250,000. Some notable residents included the paper mill superintendent, the Norris's, who also owned Manresa Castle, and the Gauthiers (the longest residents of record, at 42 years).
Once, the house survived a fire caused by a pot belly stove that became red hot and fell through the floor. In the 1960s it was a rental and a rooming house; many Port Townsend residents report having lived there in their younger days. Over the years, the house fell victim to neglect and "modernization." The current owners, the Brydons, have photos showing its sad decline.

Fortunately, retired Colonel Stanley Anderson and his wife came along and saw the possibilities in the neglected house. They found and refurbished the original doors, windows, and Queen Ann ornamental trim, and the house came to life again. They even restored the white picket fence.

In 1972 they installed an upstairs bathroom in a space that had been a small bedroom. A large kitchen was created from a former downstairs bedroom; the original kitchen had earlier been redone to provide the home's first indoor bathroom. In 1978 the Andersons were rewarded for their work with the coveted Mary Johnson Award. They continued working on the house, and in 1985 they successfully petitioned the U.S. Department of the Interior to grant the Trumbull House the attention and prominence it richly deserves. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Note the plaque on the porch railing that attests to this honor. Following its sale by the Andersons, the house suffered again. The current owners have done more than their share in restoring the stately home again and adding their own authentic touches. A new room was carved out by raising an attic roof; it was outfitted with woodwork and heirlooms from the same era, which the Brydons brought with them from California. Mr. Brydon also built a number of spacious and charming closets. Homes of that vintage were not built with closets, because people used free-standing armoires.

In 1991 a photo of the Trumbull House was selected from 200 entries to appear on the cover of Alaska Airlines Magazine. On an Alaska Airlines flight, the current owners, who knew nothing of the photo's submittal to the contest, were surprised to see a picture of their house on the magazine cover. On several other occasions, the house has been featured in magazines and advertisements as a shining example of Port Townsend's Victorian architecture.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Crown HouseCrown House 2Name: Erickson House (Crown House)
Year Built: 1938
Location:
Area: Port Townsend

Mr. Erickson built it when he was the Crown Zellerbach Paper Mill Manager. Crown bought it from him when he was transfered to California in 1947 and was the second owner of this house.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Commanding OfficersName: Commanding Officer's Quarters
Year Built: circa 1904
Location: Pershing Street
Area: Fort Worden State Park

Fort Worden (1886-1953) is an example of West Coast turn-of-the-century military construction. It was built to secure the entrance to Puget Sound. The architectural style is similar to Jefferson Classicism. The appearance of the fort has remained fairly constant since the early 1900s. The fort was the headquarters of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound, but a shot was never fired in anger. The fort was deactivated in 1955 as a military installation, and since 1973 it has become one of the crown jewels of the State Parks system; its buildings are available as conference facilities and recreation housing. The fort is on the historic register and also functions as the home of Centrum Foundation, a nonprofit organization for the arts and creative education, which presents concerts, festivals, workshops, and special performances throughout the year.

Officer's HouseThe first fort constructed on the location (in 1855) was named Fort Wilson, and was intended to protect Port Townsend from the Indians. It was abandoned in 1856 when hostilities between white settlers and Indians ended. The fort was reopened in 1900 and renamed in honor of Admiral John L. Worden, commander of the battleship, Monitor. Fort Worden is the only army fort to be named after a naval officer.

The Commanding Officer's quarters, completed in 1904, stands on a choice location at the end of "Officer's Row," overlooking Admiralty Inlet and Point Wilson. During its military service it provided housing for 33 commanding officers and their families. The Commanding Officer's Quarters has been completely restored and furnished in the Victorian style, with furnishings chosen by the Port Townsend Heritage Group. Special features of the house include the cross-gabled slate roof with its chimneys and decorated box cornices, hardwood floors, three fireplaces, copper sink, and brass chandelier. The nearly 6000 square foot house also has 10-foot high pressed ceilings.

The volunteers have restored and decorated the interior to reflect the life of the Commanding Officer's family in the period between 1830 and 1910.

See also: Commanding Officer's Quarters Museum

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Name: Nelson & Kaase Craftsman House
Year Built: 1990
Location: Pierce and Washington Streets
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

Based on features of the Craftsman style, such as broad porch wraps, a shingled surface, and horizontal window massing, this 4500 sq. ft. home was the most expensive house ever built in Port Townsend on speculation. The builders, Paul Kaase and Rick Nelson, had a great view lot and wanted to make a special house. Architect Tim Nolan incorporated features which appeal to "everyman" - simple and unadorned, with wrap-around porch. The porch was an important feature of the Craftsman style, which expanded the living space outside.

Current owners were in the antique business prior to moving to Port Townsend, and the home reflects their appreciation for beautiful furniture and decor.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Commander's HouseName: Commander's House
Year Built: circa 1934
Location: Point Hudson
Area: Point Hudson

The Commander's House was built as the residence of the Commanding Medical Officer of the U.S. Quarantine Station at Point Hudson. The station was constructed as one of the Public Works projects designed to provide employment in the 1930s.

The Commander's House, the junior officer's quarters, detention hospital, offices, stores, and six other buildings were stoutly built to government specifications, in the Colonial Revival style, with simple, neo-classical elements. By the time the station opened in 1935, faster, cleaner ships, with showers and fresh food had eliminated most of the problems requiring quarantine. It was already obsolete.

Commanders Guest HouseThe Commander's House was first occupied in September 1935, by the senior surgeon for the Public Health Department. Later on, the site became a vocational school for the National Youth Administration. In 1939, World War II was erupting in Europe, and the U.S. Coast Guard took over Point Hudson as a training station. In 1941, the Navy took over command of the Coast Guard. They enlarged the harbor and constructed a building to service mine sweepers and patrol boats. The tower housed a signal light that queried passing ships. In July 1943, Eleanor Roosevelt boarded a vessel here in the harbor enroute to Port Angeles for the christening of a relative's baby. It is rumored that she was entertained by the occupants of the Commander's House.

In 1946, the station was officially decommissioned and placed in caretaking status. In 1947 it was transferred to the War Assets Administration as surplus property. Six months later it was again transferred, this time to the U.S. Army, to use as a training and logistics base. In 1953 the Army moved out, taking more than one-third of Port Townsend's population with it. This was an economic disaster for the community.

n 1956 the Port of Port Townsend bought the property, but found it could not afford to maintain or develop it. It was leased to a former Port Townsend harbormaster for $6,000 a year for 40 years. The lease was sold in 1968 to the Point Hudson Company, which ultimately developed the Point Hudson Resort & Marina as it is today. Used for many purposes over five decades, the Commander's House was refurbished in 1995 and became a guest house at this wonderful beach location.

See also: Commander's Beach House

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Lewis HouseName: Wyndham J. Lewis House
Year Built: 1908
Location:
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

This Craftsman style shingle home demonstrates the features which appeared at the beginning of the 20th Century when the Victorian style moved away from gingerbread ornamentation toward more basic shapes.

This home has medium pitched roof with low shed dormers and wide eves with exposed rafter tails. The wide porch is framed by six large columns.

The home decor reflects the owners' careful attention to detail in blending historic quality with traditional furnishings.
Architectural details grew out of the Arts & Crafts Movements emphasized handcrafted features over machine-made. You will see wooden built-ins, tile fireplaces, and stonework.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Join Our Mailing List

Invalid Input
Invalid Input