Name: Alphonso Fowler Learned House
Year Built: 1873
Location: 938 Jefferson Street
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

The Learned House represents a union between two prominent families in the Port Townsend of the latter part of the 19th century, the McCurdys and the Fowlers. The home was built by McCurdy in 1873 as a wedding gift to his youngest daughter Isabell and her husband Alphonso Fowler Learned.

Learned was born in Boston in 1838, oldest son of William and Nancy Fowler Learned. He started a seafaring life at age 19, as a cabin boy, and made several voyages around the world. He sailed into Port Townsend Bay in 1859, as a mate, after having sailed from the East Coast on the clipper Sierra Nevada. He joined his uncle, Captain Enoch S. Fowler, in his successful mercantile business.

Apparently Learned still had the sea in his blood, because he left after several years to sail to Shanghai. After an absence of nine years he returned and resumed his association with his uncle. After another absence, this time to San Francisco and Alaska, he returned again and later suffered heavy financial losses during the collapse of Port Townsend's boom period. He held a number of public offices; he was the first delegate from Jefferson County to the territorial legislature, the first city treasurer, and city clerk, a position to which he was elected six times and held until his death. Learned was also prominent in civic, social, and fraternal organizations such as the Masons, B.P.O.E., and Knight Templars.

Isabell McCurdy (who later married Alphonso Fowler Learned) was born in 1848 and came to Port Townsend with her mother in 1856. The voyage from New Brunswick took five months by packet sailing vessels and rail across the Isthmus of Panama. Her father, Dr. McCurdy, had come to Port Townsend earlier over the Santa Fe Trail to California. Isabell later described her adventures to her granddaughter, including the hostilities with Indians and the gruesome sight of dead Indians suspended in wrapped canoes along the cliff over Washington Street in Port Townsend.

The owner of the Learned House received a Jefferson County Historical Society Preservation Award on April 24, 1989, for maintaining the integrity of the house.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Name: R.C. Hill House
Year Built: 1872
Location: 611 Polk Street
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

Robert Crosby Hill was born in Pennsylvania and came to Whidbey Island in 1853, There he joined his brothers, Nathaniel D. and Humphrey Hill, before moving to Port Townsend in 1881. Previously he fought in the Indian wars and ranched and mined in California and Nevada. Robert and his wife, Elizabeth, raised three sons, Horace, William, and Harry, in this house. William and his wife, Lizette, lived in the house until their deaths.
Along with Colonel Henry Landes, Hill established the First National Bank and worked there until his retirement in 1915. He served as mayor of Port Townsend in 1885.

Abstracts of Jefferson County show that this property was deeded from Alfred Plummer to F.W. Pettygrove in 1859. Pettygrove deeded the land to L.B. Hasings in 1860, Uand Hastings deeded it to C.C. Bartlett in 1871. In 1874 the land was deeded to J.J. Hunt, operator of the Cosmopolitan Hotel on Water Street. Hunt saw to the laying of the foundation and early construction of the house. The property transferred to the Mary F. Hunt heirs in 1880 and then to Robert Crosby Hill in 1882.

The foundation for the house was laid by J.J. Hunt in 1864, 18 years before the title was transferred to the Hill family, in whose possession it remained for the next 96 years. In the early 1900s a second story was added to the kitchen wing. The original carriage house has recently been doubled in size. Distinctive features of the house include unusual fireplaces, stippled woodwork, ornate moldings, hand-cast hinges, built-in hutches, many original light fixtures, and a cozy sitting porch. The backyard Rboasts a triple-grafted elm and an "upside-down" Camperdown elm. The house is now a bed and breakfast inn.

Entry
The hall has a lovely arch with grape-bunch plaster moldings original to the house. They were painted in acrylics by previous owners. Pictures inside the door are of the Hill brothers, Robert, Humphrey, Nathaniel D. (who built the N.D. Hill Building downtown for his pharmacy). Note the stock certificate from Robert Hill's bank. The picture of the house was taken around 1898, before the kitchen wing was added. The Mary Johnson Award was given to previous owners, the Slaters, in 1984, in recognition of the preservation work they did on the house. The color photograph of the house was done just after it was painted. The coat tree is authentic to the era and the wreath is from a clematis vine that grew by the carriage house.

Library
This was Lizette's sitting room; it was originally a ladies' parlor, but was converted to a bedroom after William Hill suffered a stroke.

Parlor
This room has unique coving at the ceiling and one of the two marbled fireplaces in the house. The fireplace was probably added around 1898. The original light was converted over the years from oil to gas to electric. The stuffed owl was obtained by the third owners of the house in the 1960s.

Dining Room
Notice the plaster moldings in the archway; they were painted in the same acrylics as the moldings in the entrance hall. This room has the only original woodwork in the house. The oak look is "faux bois," created by stippling, a method used to comb or paint a grain distinctive to one type of wood onto a different type, in this case fir. The Hill's entertained a great deal and needed a large dining room. In fact, Elizabeth Hill was the social queen of Port Townsend. She was also one of the founders of the Carnegie Library. The built-in china cabinets are unusual and not often seen in older homes. The dining set is a reproduction, and the mirror is 85 years old.

Kitchen
The doorway to the kitchen shows the only original wainscoting remaining in the house. The kitchen has been remodeled at least four times. The fireplace was added in the 11970s, using most of the original chimney brick.

Lizette's Room
Note the curve and reverse curve on both sides of the room. The picture molding is original. The photo over the reproduction bed shows a bathing beauties' contest in "Santa Monica, California, in 1922.

Billy's Room
An earlier owner created bath space by moving walls and closets. Note the attractive wicker chairs and original picture molding.

The Colonel's Suite
Note: This room clear-spans the parlor, so caution is necessary. Maximum occupancy is 10 people. The antique ash bed was built especially for this room. The light fixtures are original. The bath was added in 1900 as a second story over the kitchen. The unusual stair pattern in the hall is a result of this addition.

Carriage House
The carriage house was !expanded in the 1960s and converted from a worksop to guest rooms. The bathtub came from the upstairs bath. The furnishings in the Skyview room were made in Chehalis of local willow. The Morning Glory Room was named after the vines growing inside the original carriage house.

Backyard
Of special note are the two "upside-down" trees. Robert Hill's Chinese gardener was responsible for these beautiful and unusual trees. The Camperdown elm was grafted to its roots and the rerooted. It was planted in the late 1880s. The other small tree is a weeping mulberry, which was also grafted to its own roots. The hawthorn and plum trees are from the same era.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Name: Nathaniel D. Hill House
Year Built: 1868
Location: 1310 Clay Street
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

Hill arrived in the Northwest in 1852, having sailed from Pennsylvania to the Isthmus of Panama, traveled by mule, and boarded another ship for Whidbey Island. After a stint of farming and managing an Indian agency on Whidbey Island, he came to Port Townsend in 1868 with his wife, Sallie Hazeltine Haddock Hill and their two sons, Robert Crosby Hill and Howard Hazeltine Hill.

Ultimately N.D. Hill became one of the most successful and well-respected men in the Washington Territory. He was the first manufacturer of medicinal drugs in the area. A shrewd and hard-driving businessman, he took full advantage of pioneer opportunities and involved himself in such diverse commercial activities as banking, railroads, saw mills, and telegraph companies. As a territorial representative and county commissioner, Hill became one of the leaders in the drive for statehood. He owned the N.D. Hill Building, downtown, which now houses the Water Street Hotel. He ran a drug store from the building, which, at the time of its sale was the oldest business in the state.

Three generations of the Hill family were raised in the N.D. Hill House on 1310 Clay Street. It remained in the family until 1958, when granddaughter and longtime Port Townsend resident Sallie Hill sold it, after the death of her father, Howard Hill, at the age of 93. Sallie Hill died in 1977 at the age of 87.

Although some remodeling was done before the sale, such as enlarging and confining the wrap-around porch, major renovations, especially in the kitchen area, were done in recent years.

See also: Blue Gull Inn

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Name: Hastings Spec House
Year Built: 1890
Location: 505 Cass
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

Hastings is an important name in local history. Lucinda Hastings is said to have been the first white woman to set foot in Port Townsend. She took part in much of the early history of the town. Most of the early pioneers died during the 1880s, shortly before the boom period, when hopes that Port Townsend would be the great port of the Puget Sound area seemed to be materializing. Lucinda Hastings arrived in 1852, survived Indian wars, and eked out a subsistence in the wilderness. She saw the town prosper with the promise of a railroad, and watched the dreams fade in the depression of 1891. Her husband, Loren B. Hastings, died in 1881, but members of his family continued to prosper in their own businesses. Lucinda Hastings great grandchildren still live in Port Townsend today.

In April 1890, Lucinda Hastings took out a permit to build this spec house on Lawrence Street. There are six other one-and-a-half story houses built by the Hastings family that were identical to this one.

The current owner has photos of all six as they appear today. It's interesting to see how each has been modified through the years. Each is still easily identified by the dramatic asymmetrical roof that sweeps down across the entrance. In 1922 Charles Nelson, who was in the wood business, used wooden rollers to move this house to its current site on Cass Street.

Nelson lived in the house until 1935; since then there have been 11 owners. Mr. and Mrs. Forrest Aldrich bought the house in 1975 and began restoration, receiving a Jefferson County Historical Society and preservation award in 1979.

Mary and Fred Lezpona bought the house in 1993 and began the present restoration. They have accomplished wonders. They have made major changes in the plumbing and electrical systems, removed and rebuilt interior and exterior walls, built a new garage, and "completely redecorated every square inch," as Mary puts it. Credit is given to Townsend Builders for the quality of workmanship evident throughout.

Parlor
An asymmetrical archway beneath the stairs was removed and the wall beneath the stairway was built up to expand the coat closet. Glassed-in double transoms between parlor and dinning room were designed by Mary. A striking picture molding and border were added. The refinished fir floor is original. Wooden corner beads protect the wallpaper.

Dining Room
Because the dining room was considered the best room in the house, a more expensive narrow planking was used here than the fir in the parlor. An exceptional piece is the butler's china cabinet from northern Ohio. Made of quarter-sawn oak with its original finish still in excellent condition, the cabinet has claw feet, and curved glass and bowed wood doors.

Library
Formerly a bedroom, this room was enlarged by removing a non-functional butler's pantry and closet. Bookshelves were built in. A plastered-over chimney flu was discovered in the wall between the library and dining room.

Kitchen
The kitchen has been completely renovated and modernized. French doors leading to the yard replace double windows 5that were later recycled and installed in the garage.

Wine Room & Conservatory
A specially designed refrigerator keeps wines at the correct temperature. Note the grape-motif wet bar tiles. A wooden outdoor deck has been enclosed to create a room designed to resemble an old English conservatory. Interior walls were Specially milled by Edensaw Lumber in Port Hadlock to match exterior walls and railings.

Upstairs
The display of bobbins at the head of the stairs is one of several of the owners' antique collections. In the master bedroom 6a wall was moved to make room for the spacious closet.

Guest Bedroom
The double windows were once divided by a bathroom wall. Two separate closets were created. Note the unusual rocker.

Bath/Utility Room
A former bedroom was changed into a large bath with room for a spacious shower, double lavatories and a washer-dryer. The floor was raised to enclose piping for plumbing fixtures. Separate his and her medicine cabinets were designed, as was the vanity shelf that separates them. The old chest was once used for storing chamber pots. The door on a former bedroom closet was removed and shelves were installed to create a commodious linen closet. The stained glass window is from a Seattle antique dealer.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Name: Thomas Hammond House
Year Built: 1890
Location: 1834 Pierce Street
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

Thomas and Sarah Hammond first settled in Discovery Bay, before building this house in 1890. Hammond (1816-1899) was an Irish immigrant and engineer and the father of 12 children. One of his sons, Thomas C. Hammond (1855-1922), was listed as telegrapher in Port Townsend. Sarah Hammond deeded the property to M.K. and C. A. Hammond in 1899, after her husband's death.

Owners through the years have included P.M. and Annie Coyne (1906- 1920), Peter M. Coyne and James H. Coyne (1920-1938), Agnes and Joseph Donovan and family (1938-1951). The Coynes were grandparents to the four Donovan children. When the property was sold in 1951, each of the Donovan children received $700, after probate, as his or her share of the sale. There were several other owners between 1951 and 1981, when the house was sold to Dr. Douglas Kurata.

On July 1, 1988, Dr. Gerald Boarino, a retired California professor, became the 14th owner of the property. In 1989, he subjected the house to a "sympathetic" restoration.

Exterior
The house is Italianate Victorian in style. Though considered a cottage by the standards of time, it has a widow's walk, a pedimented porch, and brackets. The present owner replaced the railings on the widow's walk and porch. The brackets are original to the house. The unusual screens were custom made.

Interior
Dr. Boarino restored all the ceilings to their original height of 12 feet, exposing gold ceiling medallions in the living and dining rooms; he left the medallions in their original condition and !introduced crown moldings and baseboards throughout.

Living Room
The focal point of the living room is the unique and rare marbelized granite and cast iron fireplace, hand painted in the Pompeiian mode. The light fixtures here, as throughout the house, were bought from local antique restoration dealer Nils Starkey. Designed for gas, they have been adapted for electricity. The eclectic collection of objects d'art include The Florentine Singer, an 1865 signed Dubois bronze sculpture; a porcelain 18th century French clock; an early 19th century mantle clock; a 19th century oil painting by Calvert, student of William Blake; and a 19th century Italian reproduction.

Dining Room
After the false ceiling was removed, the center part of the medallion was taken down and repaired. Before being put back, copies were made of it for the bedroom, library, and den. This room was enclosed by the present owner. The stunning beveled glass French doors admit light while allowing privacy. The sideboard, about 75 years old, contains early Wedgewood and Lombardy china pieces. Of particular interest is the collection of 18th century santos (saints) from Spain and the Philippines.

Library
The ceiling medallion in this tastefully furnished room was copied from the center part of the dining room medallion. The massive library table is early 20th century, and the bookcase is an Eastlake piece. The handsome St. Anthony figurine comes from Ecuador; the crucifix is 18th century Spanish. Note the array of maps of Haiti mounted on the wall, all from the 18th century, except one that dates back to 1620. Especially noteworthy are the early 19th century prints by Alenza, a student of Goya.

Bedroom
Here is another copy of the elegant ceiling medallion from the dining room. The bedside lamp is Italian.

Den
The deck was built by former owner, Dr. Kurata.

Kitchen
Note the old photos of the house, taken in 1912. The hanging schoolhouse fixtures date from the 1920s. The wall telephone (1905 B & R, made in Kansas and Portland) can receive incoming calls. The eight-day clock (1871) comes from Connecticut. The hardwood oak flooring was installed by the previous owner. Red oak floors in the living and dining rooms are about 40 years old.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Name: William Furlong House
Year Built: 1875
Location: 704 Lawrence Street
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

William Furlong and his wife, Hannah, lived in this house from 1877 to 1916; he was a Port Townsend policeman and also owned a cigar store from 1891 to 1909. He was appointed chief of police in 1889, and worked as a gardener and caretaker in Chetzemoka Park in later years. He died in 1927.

John and Lois Thompson bought the house in 1989. In 1991 they received an award for the work they had done on the house's exterior. The first phase of their restoration included a complete new foundation and roof, addition of a basement, repair of the front porch, and new exterior paint. While working on the backyard they found brass buttons emblazoned with the letter "P" in the old privy hole, along with numerous whiskey, beer, and Vaseline bottles. The Thompsons believe that the buttons may have come from Furlong's police uniform.

The interior is a work in progress. Since the house had been used as a rental for many years, and had been divided into two flats during the 1930s, there was a great deal of abuse, neglect, and botched remodeling to correct. Plaster walls had to be removed down to bare studs, and shored up or replaced. Insulation was torn out and brought up to current standards. Plumbing and wiring were in sad condition. Dry rot and water damage were extensive.

The Thompsons found that the house was actually two houses joined together. The front portion, built with posts and beams, originally had a lean-to kitchen. Later on the lean-to kitchen was replaced with an even older house, built with lapped construction. Square nails, out of use since the turn of the century, are found in both portions of the house.

Notable features of the house include original floors, some wavy and bubbled window panes from the last century, several restored period ceiling lighting fixtures, original woodwork in the living room, and wainscotting in the breakfast area. The steep narrow staircase is original, and chalk marks found on its underside indicate that it came prefabricated and was assembled on site. Interesting exterior touches include the front porch posts and railing, made by Thompson, and the basement doors, which came from the old Port Townsend Lincoln School.

But the most remarkable features of the Furlong House are the skill, dedication, and hard work that the owners have poured into its restoration.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Name: Calhoun House
Year Built: circa 1880's
Location: 634 Clay Street
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

The Calhoun House was on the 1993 Fall Homes Tour. At that time it was in the process of being renovated from the ground up. It was an interesting site to have on the tour because visitors could see the "skeleton" of the structure and gain some appreciation for how much work has to be done to restore a historic building. Although the "old lady" was stripped down to wall boards and ceiling joists, visitors were struck by her proud architecture and simple integrity.

Today the work is almost completed, and if you were lucky enough to see the house on the 1993 tour, you will appreciate the transformation. This is a true "before" and "after."

The house was built by John and Mary Calhoun in the late 1880s. Mary, born in 1860, was the daughter of Alfred A. Plummer, who founded Port Townsend in 1851. The site of the house was Plummer property that was given to Mary in 1884 by her mother, Anna Plummer. The site, since subdivided, then consisted of the west half of the present block. John Calhoun died in 1891, leaving Mary with a four-year-old daughter. As a result of her husband's death, she was unable to meet the mortgage payments, and she lost the property.

There are two other houses in Port Townsend that were built at about the same time and were originally identical to this one. They both still have their original porches and brackets. For comparison, the addresses are 430 Lawrence (corner Monroe) and 834 Pierce.

All three houses were built without plumbing and were later modified and added to in different ways to provide bathroom and other space. This house has had the least space added.

The original house had five main rooms: parlor, dining room, kitchen, and two bedrooms. There was also an entry hall, a pantry, and two closets. A side porch at the back of the house had steps that lead to a carriage house to the north, now the location of a neighbor's home.

Walls separating the parlor, dining room, and entry had been removed by a previous owner, and at the time of the 1993 Tour there was one large open space. Since then the original room configurations have been restored, and an octagonal bay was added to the parlor. A new bath was also built.

In the old houses that were built without plumbing, the first plumbing was generally installed in the kitchen. Later, a bathroom was placed off the kitchen, near the plumbing. Before the 1995 tour, the present owner, an architect, had removed this bathroom, which had been added as a lean-to off the kitchen. She had also removed the wall between the kitchen and the pantry, which had been turned into a laundry and passage to the bathroom. She had carved a bathroom space out of a closet in one bedroom, converted the porch to a cozy inglenook with a brick fireplace, added another back porch and pantry, and supported the house with a sturdy new basement.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Name: Fern House
Year Built: 1890
Location: 1041 Taylor
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

Not much is known about the Fern House. An early resident was Augustus Pillep, one of two cigar manufacturers in Port Townsend. In 1907 he had a cigar store on Water Street, complete with a wooden Indian. A parking lot now occupies that space.

Built about 1890, Fern House exemplifies the practical beauty of the Victorian cottage, which has evolved over the years with its own history and its own mystery. Some of the remodeling done over the years adds to the mystery of this house.

One apparent change is noticeable on the outsidethe woodwork around the center from window is different from the original trim of the window right below it. The brick work in the chimney reflects the pride the bricklayers had in their work, it's a bit uncommon for a Victorian cottage. The fretwork over the front door is typically Victorian. The quatrafoil at the top is of the Victorial Gothic style. The bannisters are probably not original; the originals were probably more ornate. The transom window over the front door is unusual.

Entry
The entry used to extend farther back, but has recently been remodeled to house a laundry room.

Parlor and Dining Room
The floors in the parlor and dining room are original. The wide planks show the age of the floor as opposed to newer, narrower planks in more modern houses. The picture rail divides the walls in the parlor reflecting the most recent fashionable trend of the times.

The criss-cross work on one window is unusual and was considered to be very high fashion and worthy of a more extravagant house. The round hole in the wall tells us the house had a woodburning stove instead of a fireplace. This was a state-of-the-art addition to any house at that time.

The bay window and the brackets in the dining room were typical of the era, but the window seat was not. The fashion of the time dictated that the wallpaper border should meet the picture rail and the ceiling would have been wallpapered. You can also see a hole in the corner here for another stove. The hole above the kitchen door was probably for a fan or a grill, to allow heat to pass from the kitchen to the rest of the house. The little room off the dining room was probably used for a library or a bedroom for an elderly person.

Kitchen
The dough table is an unusual piece. When kitchens were first designed, they had no built-in furniture, and pieces designed for the rest of the house were moved in. Some of the first pieces designed for use in the kitchen were dough tables. Notice the table's tin drawer, designed to keep rats out.

Stairway
Notice the dust covers in the corners. The Victorians were skilled at adding beauty while saving themselves work.

Bathroom
The sink and bathtub are original.

Upstairs kitchen area
It is unclear what this area was originally, but many houses were remodeled during World War II to accommodate the need for more housing and the lack of materials during the war.

Upstairs bedrooms
You will notice that some windows are trimmed differently from others. This is also noticeable from the outside. This could possibly have been the result of rebuilding after a chimney fire, or some windows might have been added later.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Name: William Bishop House
Year Built: 1886
Location: 1232 Van Ness
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

One of the earliest settlers in the Chimacum Valley was William Bishop, an Englishman who jumped ship around 1853 to find a better way of life in the Northwest. Eventually, he established a thriving dairy farm. He had three children with his Indian wife, Sally, one of whom, William Jr., became a prominent state senator. In the mid-1860s William Sr. remarried a Scottish woman, Hannah (or Anna) Hutchinson. He built the Van Ness house for her and their four children in 1886. The house passed through several generations of the family. Later owners were the Johnsons and the Paddocks. When the Reeds moved in, asphalt siding covered the wood frame house. Its tower was gone, lost in a windstorm. The widow's walk wnext to the master bedroom had been enclosed. One stairwell window was glass-bricked, and another covered entirely, so the hallway was dark. The small 1950s-style kitchen, with turquoise counter tops, had been relocated to the back of the house. The floors were vinyl and the living room walls were covered with mirrors. (The room was once used as a dance studio.) Paul Hess Construction was hired to adapt the house for modern living while preserving its historical significance. The Reeds received the Jefferson County Historical Society's coveted Mary P. Johnson Preservation Award in 1995 for "exemplary restoration and continued maintenance of historic structures."

Exterior
The tower was replaced, a side porch and the widow's walk were restored, a gable and multi-level decking were added. At zone time a water storage tower stood in the yard next to the well. It is thought that Bishop sold water to his neighbors. The huge old plum tree that stands in the front yard was planted by the Bishops and appears in early pictures.

Front Hall
It took hours of stripping to return the beautiful wood banister to its pristine condition. The front door and hardware are [new. Stained glass found in Port Townsend replaces the glass brick in the stairwell window.
Living Room and Music Room
Old photos showing an outside porch convinced the Reeds to reduce the size of the living room and restore the porch. When stripping the walls they discovered patches of original wallpaper, a sample of which has been preserved. Track for a tpocket door between the rooms indicated that the original door was higher than the one the Reed installed. The 1886 Steinway piano owned by Barbara's grandmother, is the same make and model as a piano that William Bishop kept in this very room. A potbelly stove once stood where the mirrors now hide the chimney.

Dining Room
The overhead light fixture was bought from Nils Starkey, a local restoration fixture dealer. The handsome oak hutch came from Seattle. Because of its intricate design, the wainscoting replacement had to be hand-wrought. The bay extends to the bedroom above and was part of the original structure.

Upstairs
The former servant's quarters is now a utility room. A shower was installed in the upstairs bathroom and a window seat was built into the bay in a daughter's bedroom. Two brothers share the comfortable and practical boys' room. The handsome oak bed in the master bedroom is a Victorian reproduction. Stenciling here was also done by Barbara Reed.
Stories about the house being haunted were scoffed at by the Reeds until Barbara and Ron, working at opposite sides tof their bedroom, both thought they were being nudged by the other. Another time their youngest son woke up to find his bed moved across the room.

Kitchen-Sitting Area
The customized kitchen-sitting area is the real focal point of this home. The entire area was gutted and Port Townsend wcabinetmaker Steve Habersetzer built two islands. One supports ornate white columns that replace a bearing wall. China pieces are displayed in the islands and custom cabinets, whose doors are made from glass out of old windows. Green faux marble tops the islands and wet bar. The cooking area has glass-fronted bins for pasta. Wainscoting from kitchen walls also adorns the front of the refrigerator. Architectural designer Ann Landis helped dosing the kitchen. The stenciling was done by Barbara Reed. Ceiling medallions were copied from one remaining original, discovered when a false ceiling was removed. The sitting area features original windows and French doors opening onto a multi-level deck. Overstuffed easy chairs, plants, and an old trunk, used as a coffee table, give the room a comfortable ambiance. An unusual piece is the wooden examining table, which Barbara picked up at a sale in Irondale.

Lower (basement) level
Because of the extensive remodeling, it was necessary to shore up the foundation. What was formerly a root cellar became va bedroom, sitting room and bath that opens to a terrace. This addition expanded the house to five bedrooms and 3,500 square feet. The claw-footed tub in the bathroom belonged to Barbara's grandmother.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Join Our Mailing List

Invalid Input
Invalid Input