Name: Port Townsend Masonic Lodge No. 6
Year Built: 1932
Location: Corner Jefferson and Van Buren
Area: Uptown Port Townsend
Port Townsend Masonic Lodge was chartered on March 24, 1859 in the Washington Territory by the Free and Accepted Masons..
The first meetings were held on the second floor of a building on Adams Street. The present site was bought and a wooden building, which later burned, was constructed about 1927-28. The present brick building was built in 1932 from brick made in the Port Townsend/Port Hadlock area. Brother Grandville O. Haller was worshipful master at the time. The building has remained virtually unchanged.
In 1982 the original cornerstone was replaced and found to contain a copy of the October 28, 1860 "Northern Light", one of 12 newspapers published here that year, as well as a copy of the July 24, 1932 Port Townsend Leader, still published today.
Some of the prominent people who have belonged to the Lodge over the years include Alfred Plummer, one of the founders of Port Townsend and grand master of the State of Washington in 1892; Grandville O. Haller, grand master in 1871; D.C.H. Rothschild, grand master in 1873; Dr. James House, prominent early Port Townsend doctor; Nathaniel Hill, another Port Townsend founder; H.L. Tibbals; Charles Eisenbeis, who built Manresa Castle.
Other concordant bodies that meet here are the Order of the Eastern Star and International Order of the Rainbow for Girls.
The Masonic Lodge is "The Tea House" for rest, socializing and tea and cookies during the annual Homes Tour.
Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.