Name: Good Templars Hall
Year Built: 1870
Location: 280 Quincy (corner Washington)
Area: Downtown Port Townsend

In 1869, the International Order of Good Templars (IOGT) purchased Block 43, lots 6 & 8, originally part of the A.A. Plummer Donation Claim for $250. Plummer was the founder of Port Townsend. In 1870, the south half of the parcel (the present location of Bread & Roses) was sold to N.D. Hill for $160.

The Good Templars Hall was probably built in 1870. Photos from the 1870s show the front facade of the building with its half-moon ornament. In later photos, the ornament does not appear. In the 1995-1996 restoration, the ornament was replaced.

In 1888, the IOGT sold the building to Eugene Biondi for $6,000, and in 1890 they built a new lodge uptown at Lawrence and Tyler streets. For a while the downtown building was the Model Hotel.

In 1902 an Eagles Chapter was founded in Port Townsend, and they bought the IOGT building for $1,050 (the bust had come). Major remodeling was done from 1905 to 1910, and then again from 1920 to 1955. A photo with caption in the local news in July 1958 describes a face-lift taking place: asbestos siding is being installed. During the installation of the siding most of the remaining windows were removed and boarded up. The projecting crown molds of the window trims and the sills of the remaining windows were cut back. Projecting trim around the front door was removed. It appears that work was done in the interior of the building as well. The plaster was removed from the walls and ceilings, probably because of smoke and water damage from an earlier fire. New wall and ceiling finishes were installed. Later in 1970, more alterations were made to the windows and front entrance.

In 1995 the Eagles sold the building to Middlepoint Associates for an undisclosed sum. The asking price was $285,000.
The building was rehabilitated, with exterior restoration. The concrete retaining walls and load-bearing columns in the basement were stabilized, and the basement was enclosed and finished for new office space. The main floor was completely gutted, and new partitions, drywall, and finishes were installed; the upper floor was remodeled. A new entrance was installed on the Water Street side.

New electrical, heating, and insulation were installed. The siding was stripped and the former siding and trim repaired. New windows were installed to replicate the original six-over-six pane double hung windows.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by

Share this

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Twitter

Join Our Mailing List

Invalid Input
Invalid Input