Name: Port Townsend Carnegie Library
Year Built: 1913/Remodeled 1990
Location: Lawrence Street
Area: Uptown Port Townsend
The Port Townsend Public Library was established in 1898 by a group of "leading community ladies." By 1913 they had acquired the land, secured City funding, and received a grant from the Carnegie Library Foundation to construct a new building in keeping with Carnegie architectural design standards of the period. The Port Townsend Carnegie Library served its community so well that a 4,500 sq. ft. addition was added in 1990 to accommodate the high volume of use that continues to increase significantly each year. In 2014 a major rennovation was completed.
Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.