Name: James Stockand House
Year Built: 1887
Location: 110 F Street
Area: Uptown Port Townsend

James William Stockand was born in 1861, at the 160-acre family homestead in Center, Washington, 20 miles south of Port Townsend. When James reached the age of majority he moved to Port Townsend and became a furniture merchant. He married Julia Kinneth, a young woman from a pioneer Whidbey Island family.

Stockand began building this distinctive two-story, seven-gabled house in 1887, with the help of his brother-in-law, Thomas Drummond. It is located on a portion of the original county graveyard. Construction of the house and its adjoining carriage house were completed in 1890 at a cost of $3,400. The October 2, 1889 Morning Leader reported that $420,000 had been spent in construction of over 50 buildings during that boom year. The newspaper also reported that 30 million board/feet of lumber had been shipped from Port Ludlow and over 45 million from Port Discovery. There were more than 3,000 real estate transactions in 1889 for a total of over $4 million.

In 1906 Stockand moved to Seattle and became an inspector with the city engineering department. He died in Seattle in 1939.

The Millers owned the house during World War II, and rented out rooms to Fort Worden soldiers. Miller sold some of the adjoining acreage when he fell upon hard times.

The Stockand House had lapsed sadly into disrepair when Sue and Dick Fenley bought it. They lovingly restored it to its original splendor, for which they received the Mary Johnson Award and a certificate of appreciation from the Jefferson County Historical Society in recognition of their contribution toward keeping Port Townsend's fine history alive.

The Fenleys report having heard the sound of heavy footsteps in the upstairs hallway, and had been awakened occasionally in the night by something that sounded like logs rolling off the roof. After they completed the unfinished attic, they noticed that the sounds and sense of a "presence" had disappeared.

Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.

Share this

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Twitter

Join Our Mailing List

Invalid Input
Invalid Input