Name: L.C. Strong House
Year Built: 1896
Location: 740 Taylor Street
Area: Uptown Port Townsend
Not much is known about L.C. Strong, the original owner and namesake of this house. He is said to have been a banker. Another Strong family member, Nathaniel, lived nearby on Tyler Street and was a cashier at Merchant's Bank.
The original exterior of this house is now obscured by stucco, applied about 70 years ago. The only place you can still see the original wood siding is in an interior back stairwell. A recently uncovered round window adorns a gable above a pillared portico.
The sun coming through the home's large windows wash the interior with a cheerful light. The staircase shows early changes made to the entry hall, which probably contained an open stairwell at one time. There is a lower rectangular railing in the Craftsman style, but the elaborate upper railing is rounded with a newel post, a decidedly Victorian style.
Unlike many large Port Townsend homes that fell into disrepair and disuse, the L.C. Strong House has always been a comfortable family home for a series of owners, many recognizable Port Townsend family names. The house reflects the changing tastes and needs of its residents, but a 1900 photo shows that the basic form has not been changed.
The present owners have worked diligently, as have previous owners, to preserve original features and make modifications that suit the spirit of the home. Original fir floors have been restored, and a back entry storage area has been opened to reveal a bright, high-ceilinged room.
Data modified from the National Register of Historic Places, the former Victorian Festival Heritage Home Tour, property owners and other sources. All material copyrighted by PTguide.com.