2002 Homes Tour
SAUNDERS HOUSE - 1891
This large and impressive home has a colorful history and many unique features. It retains its Victorian charm despite having several owners over the years with differing ideas of renovation and decorating. Commanding a hillside lot overlooking the waterfront, the home has a wrap-around porch.A third story was used at various times for dancing, showing movies, and a girls' dormitory. An unusual feature of the home is the dining room fireplace, which has a window in the middle of the chimney.
N.W. 0'REAR HOUSE - 1891
Never before on the tour is this house in the process of being renovated. Although built during the Victorian period, the house surprises with interior features of mostly Craftsman detailing.Originally built as a carriage house for the F. W. Hastings home to the east, it was purchased by Newton O'Rear, a customs service officer.By1906, he had the house turned 180 degrees and converted into a 7-room residence.The Mansard roof was part of the original windmill attached to the carriage house.
CAPTAIN HENRY E. MORGAN HOUSE - 1866
First time on the tour is this home built in early Victorian style.A lovely bay window extends from the living room.The historic home has been tastefully furnished with attractive antiques.
Captain Morgan originally came west to join the gold rush in 1849 and eventually settled in Port Townsend. He was involved in several development schemes. Morgan Hill, the waterfront hill behind the uptown business district, was named by and for him. He personally planted many maple trees in the area.
LINCOLN H. PONTIUS HOUSE - 1889
Lincoln Pontius was a member of a prominent Washington pioneer family. He became a well-known property owner and real estate dealer in Port Townsend. The old stable and well house still stand on the Pontius property. Outstanding features of this house include oak and cherry framed fireplaces with beautiful tiles. Lovely, original stained glass panels are in the living room. An outstanding antique collection lends authenticity to this house.
VAN BUREN HOUSE - 1890
This one-and-a-half story cottage has been extensively and lovingly renovated by the present owners and currently contains many of their highly valued antiques. The exterior is enhanced by a soft shade of sea foam green on wooden lap siding, trimmed in white. There is evidence that the front door was originally at the foot of the stairs, but was moved when the inside stairway was brought forward. At that time there was only a side porch, which has now been extended to wrap around the front.
RAY O. SCOTT HOUSE - 1891
This simple "tract house" has had only three owners. It was built and occupied by Cynthia J. Adams until its purchase in 1912 by the Scott family. Ray Scott was founder and publisher of the Port Townsend Leader. Among the house's interesting features are the outdoor fireplace and fountain made from river stone. The sidewalk and patio bear hand-and-foot-prints of the town's influential people in the early 1940's.
In 1977 the house was sold to the present owners, who have made major renovations to return this house to its original Victorian style.
SAINT PAUL'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH - 1865
An example of Gothic Revival style, this church is the oldest church in the Episcopal Diocese of Olympia, and the oldest Episcopal Church in continuous use in Washington. Originally it was built on a picturesque site below the bluff and in 1883, at the request of the town council, the church was placed on logs and moved to its present location with horses and a windlass. Unlike popular conceptions of "Victorian architecture", the church is almost completely devoid of ornament and relies on vertical proportions for its effectiveness.
FENN HOUSE - 1887
Fenn House was built as the rectory for Saint Paul's Episcopal Church and was built in a style compatible with the church. First occupied by Rev. Jesse Taylor,it continued to provide housing for the rectors and vicars of Saint Paul's until 1989. Fenn House has original woodwork throughout in the floors, window sashes, and moldings. In the 1990's the kitchen was removed. A Parish Hall and a church office were then added. Fenn House is currently used for the Rector's office, nursery, children's chapel, and meeting rooms.
CAPTAIN THOMAS & LIZZIE GRANT HOUSE - 1888
Born in Nova Scotia, Captain Grant reached Puget Sound in 1874 and worked variously as captain, crewmember and pilot of stern-wheelers, steamers, tugs and oriental freighters. He and Lizzie Pritchard were married in Seattle in 1886 and built this house in Port Townsend, which is a fine example of Italianate Villa style.
The exterior symmetry of the beautiful two-story bay windows conceals a surprisingly asymmetrical interior plan. The original French wallpaper, elaborate ceiling medallion, and cast iron mantelpiece highlight the inviting parlor. The mantelpiece is painted to resemble Tennessee rose marble. The quarter-scale Victorian doghouse in the backyard is a special attraction.
PETTYGROVE HOUSE- circa 1888
First time on the tour is this Victorian bungalow built by Sarah G. Pettygrove, widow of Al Pettygrove, founder of the newspaper Puget Sound Argus. Sarah bestowed her elegance and style on the little house, using decorative brackets on the exterior and elegant floral and geometric wallpaper on the interior. The current owners have restored the high ceilings in the living and dining rooms, and have done extensive work on the gardens, patio and deck. In restoring the ceilings, they found Sarah's original wallpaper.
TEA HOUSE at the Masonic Temple
A special tea house is planned this year! Volunteers will be in period dress. Due to creative planning, theroom decor will reflect Victorian ambiance. Complimentary cookies and tea or coffee are provided for a relaxing interval during the tour.