2004 Homes Tour
Albert Bash House, c. 1890
This impressive Queen Anne style house was completed in 1890 for Albert W. Bash and his wife Flora. In 1881, President Garfield appointed Bash as Customs Collector for the District of Puget Sound.
Current owners have been working to restore this home to a semblance of its original elegance. Years of neglect necessitated weather-proofing as a first step, then reinforcement of the foundation and walls. The second story 1930s remodel was removed and construction of a new roofline was done, giving the home an appearance similar to the original building. Building codes and financial considerations prevented an exact restoration. A new basement entry was built, as well as the front and back porches. Future work planned by the current owners will mostly involve the interior, as this lengthy restoration process will involve attention to period details of the aesthetic style. The home provides magnificent views from its hillside location.
Tea House at the Masonic Temple
Step back in time when you visit the charming Tea House decorated as a Victorian parlor featuring a library theme. Visitors will be greeted by volunteers in period dress. At the Tea House, you will find a comfortable place to rest and enjoy delectable refreshments, a thank you from the Hospital Auxiliary for your participation. The Masonic Temple was built in 1932. Visitors are welcome to view the entire building.
Waterstreet Hotel in the N. D. Hill Building, 1889
N. D. Hill arrived in Port Townsend in 1868. He became the first manufacturer of pharmaceutical medicines and drugs in the area. As a Territorial Representative, he was one of the leaders in the drive for Washington statehood.
The historic N. D. Hill building was designed by noted Seattle architect, Elmer H. Fisher. The Hill building was constructed for the family business with a drugstore downstairs, manufacturing operations on the second floor, and offices on the third floor.
Although principally Italianate in design, the N. D. Hill Building displays both Grecian and Romanesque influences.
The Waterstreet Hotel occupies the second and third floors of the building. The hotel combines old-world charm with scenic views of mountains and Puget Sound. Water Street Brewing & Ale is located on the first floor. A Native Art Gallery located in the hotel lobby offers various art forms of Northwest artisans.
In 1981, many scenes from the movie An Officer and a Gentleman were filmed in the then Town Tavern on the ground floor of the building. The back of the building and surrounding area were used extensively in the filming of the movie, Snow Falling on Cedars, as people boarded at the old ferry dock.
D.H. Hill House,1862
First time open to the public, this stately house displays A. Horace Tucker's simplicity of design. This originally one and a half-story balloon frame house has been changed over the years including the addition of a two story enlargement of the back of the house. Currently, a remodel is in progress. This house is commonly referred to as the D.H. Hill House.
Land records indicate that in 1862, title to this site was held in the name of Robert M. Caines. In l852, Captain Joseph Caines with his wife and two children, Mary Jane and Robert Marshall, arrived in Port Townsend on the bark, Amelia. In 1885 Daniel H. Hill and Hannah "Kate" Morgan were married. The bride's father, Captain H.E. Morgan, presented this house to Daniel and Kate as a wedding gift. Daniel was a Port Townsend druggist and was active in community affairs. Kate added to the house stylish moldings and gingerbread trim. She ordered an elegant new staircase from Seattle which was too large. Kate had the walls rebuilt and adjusted to accommodate the new staircase.
In 1994, the current owners purchased the home and have been lovingly working on a construction project keeping in mind the historical origins of the house.
Engler House, 1990
Allan and Barbara Engler built this lovely neo-Victorian house. Pink fish-scale shingles distinguish the entry to the one-story home. Nine-foot ceilings are found throughout the house except for the living room ceiling which is 10 feet high.
Intricate gingerbread decorations portraying a Victorian look were fashioned by Allan Engler in his basement workshop. He also made the decorative stained glass pieces. Mr. Engler's further talents are demonstrated in the beautiful gardens with its attractive stepping stones.
Furnishings in the home include treasures collected by the Englers in their travels throughout the world.
This immaculately kept home was chosen for this year's Homes Tour as it provides a fine example of 20th century interpretation of Victorian home-style.
Francis Wilcox James House, 1889
This Victorian mansion commands a majestic view of Port Townsend Bay and the Cascade and Olympic Mountain ranges. It was built over a period of three years (1889 - 1891), by Francis W. James and his wife Mary.
The house was one of the few conceived, supervised, financed and finished with one goal in mind - Mr. James wanted the attention to be on quality, craftsmanship, and detail of design, using only the finest materials his money could buy. In the end, the James House cost $10,000 at a time when most of Port Townsend's other grand mansions were being built for $5,000 to $6,000.
Much of the finish materials used in construction were imported from other parts of the country. Native wild cherry from Virginia was brought around Cape Horn for the impressive three story grand staircase which greets visitors upon entry. The intricate parquet floors are made of oak, walnut, and cherry. Four of the nine original fireplaces remain and boast, Minton tile frames with elaborate carved mantels.
In 1973, after a nine year restoration, the James House was place on the National Register of Historic Places, and became the first Bed & Breakfast in the Northwest. Today, it is privately owned.
Mary Judson House c. 1887
First time on tour is this delightful one-level house. A beautiful and fragrant rose covered arched trellis enhances the entry to the home. The style of the house is similar to the Learned House on this year's tour.
Land records indicate that Mary Judson purchased the land in 1870 from E. S. Fowler. She was born in England and as a child came with her parents to New York. In 1865 they left New York on a sailing vessel traveling to San Francisco and up the coast to Port Townsend.
Mary met John Paul Judson in Port Townsend. They were married in 1866. The 1872 Business Directory for Port Townsend lists J. P. Judson as an attorney.
In 2000, William Miller and Karen Knowlton purchased the house. William and Karen commented that they acted as "stewards of the house" during a three-year restoration project. Original fir flooring, baseboards, and moldings can be found in some rooms of the house. The back porch was added after the house was originally built. The kitchen has been updated and is light and spacious.
In 2003, the current owners acquired the property. They added elegant front steps, and decorated the home with lovely antique furnishings and many of their Norwegian family treasures,
Lucinda Hastings House c. 1890
This gracious mansion was built for early pioneer, Lucinda Hastings, widow of Loren Brown Hastings. The unique home commands a magnificent view of Admiralty Inlet and Port Townsend Bay. Lucinda, her husband Loren B. Hastings, and their children arrived in Port Townsend in 1852. She was one of the first white women in the area.
The Morning Leader in January 1891 stated,
"Of the fine residences recently built, that of Mrs. Lucinda Hastings is the most costly yet built in this City, representing an investment of nearly $14,000. It is two stories, occupies a commanding view and is admirably arranged throughout ...
The entire building is heated with hot water, which is probably the first house in town to adapt this new feature."
The covered widow's walk, hand-carved oak staircase, five fireplaces with Minton tile framing and unusual stained glass windows are but a few of the special features of this home. Three windows of jewel glass at the first landing light the stairway. The center one represents "Morning and Night".
A great-great granddaughter of the original owner currently owns the home. She and her husband purchased the house in 1979. She has brought some of the Hastings family heirlooms back into the house.
Alphonso Fowler Learned House c. 1873
This enchanting home looks out on the historic 1890 Bell Tower and St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 1865. The house was built by shipbuilder William McCurdy for Dr. Samuel and Catherine McCurdy. It was a wedding gift to their youngest daughter Isabelle and her husband, Alphonso Fowler Learned. Learned was born in Boston and began a seafaring life at the age of 19, as a cabin boy. He made several voyages around the world and arrived in Port Townsend in 1859 as a mate on the bark Goldhunter. Learned joined his uncle, Captain Enoch S. Fowler in his successful mercantile business. He was the first delegate from Jefferson County to the territorial legislature.
Harry and Mary Jordan purchased the house in 1964 and were the first owners outside the Learned family. Mary Jordan received a Jefferson County Historical Society Preservation Award in 1989 for maintaining the integrity of the house.
The current owners have made the two bedroom, one bath house available as a cottage rental. The furnishings in the house are mostly of the Victorian period.
Walter Bowen House c. 1895
This modest Victorian house, near Chetzemoka Park, was built by Walter Bowen. He held the positions of Jefferson County Assessor, Treasurer and Judicial Officer. Bowen was a special deputy collector of customs under Collect James C. Saunders.
Simple in design, much of the front exterior of the house remains the same today as when it was built. The interior has been "modernized" over the years, with most of the changes made in the l950s. An original Victorian door remains in the guestroom. The current owners purchased the house in 2002 as a getaway cottage. They have made an extensive cosmetic transformation to its interiors and yard, retaining its longtime bright red exterior color. Housing the owners' country collections, it is a charming, casual first-time addition to the homes tour.