2009 Homes Tour
Horton-Bendixen House - circa 1889
1706 Clay Street
This house was sold and moved across town on log rollers by a team of oxen to its current site about 1905. Allegedly the Hortons built the house around 1889, as a speculative house alongside a mirror image of the house they lived in at 812 Harrison Street. Who purchased and moved it to this site is as yet unknown. A well known local family named Oldberg owned both houses at the time of the sale and the move, but no residents were found listed as living in the 336 house. The house may have been vacant until the Bendixens bought it when Port Townsend was experiencing a depression from 1890's, due to the railroad bust, and the general financial panic of the early years of the decade.
The lovely multi-story house is identified as a recently renovated Folk Victorian. It has moderate carpenter Gothic trim, spindle work, gable tresses, ornate bargeboards, and a hood over the upper windows, with fish scale shingles in the gables. Italianate bay windows on the south and east side are probably add-ons. There is a rebuilt brick chimney which is corbelled on the top and was moved three feet south when the house was rebuilt. The windows are 1x1 double hung. A detached garage is at the rear of the home and a room at the rear appears to be an add-on.
Daniel Haddock Hill House - circa 1862
411 Fillmore - Corner of Jefferson and Fillmore
This spacious, wonderful home was once a much simpler and smaller building similar to a New England farmhouse. Additions and modifications have occurred throughout its long history. The current residents have lovingly turned the house into one of the jewels of this historic neighborhood, adding and restoring period details and beautiful landscaping. The house may have been the first of many houses constructed by A. Horace Tucker, a prominent builder and civic leader. The first recorded sale of this house was from S.. Garfield to Robert M. Caines in the amount of $275 in 1862. It changed hands again in 1870, when it was sold to Mrs. Carrie E. Harned for $250 in gold coin. The Sale Agreement indicates that there were two full lots, a house and outbuildings (tenements) on the property at the time of this purchase. However, tenements were often defined as an assortment of buildings, but not necessarily a dwelling. The original house was built before the Hills moved into it and although is now known as the D.H. Hill House, the property remained in Kate's name until she transferred it to their son, Daniel, Jr. in 1932. Kate made major changes to the house, by adding two dormers, the gingerbread trim on the exterior, and the elegant staircase that remains in the house today.
Additions and modifications have occurred throughout the house's long history and the house has been substantially enlarged and altered since it was originally built. The current owners have carried on the reconstruction they began since 1990. The house now has a total living area of 2,036 sq. ft. due to an addition of a 160 sq. ft. garage that was added in 2003. In 2006, major additions were added to the rear and the south side of the home, making the house to presently have a T-shape foot print. The rear portion of the house has been replaced with a one and a half story wing. The bay window on the south side of the house has been extended to the second story and the windows have been altered. Although much of the exterior and nearly all the interior is new, they have maintained the original character to provide a seamless transition that convinces those who drive by, that the house has been this way since it was built.
Captain Thomas and Lizzie Grant House - circa 1887
731 Pierce Street
Built in the Italian Villa style, this multi-story house is typical of the local fashion for low-pitched, simple hipped roofs with elaborate brackets. The house has wood lap siding and a brick perimeter foundation. It was designed for 10 foot ceilings, but built with 12 foot ceilings, thus the back stairs are long and steep and the front stairs have a low overhead on the turn. The tall bay windows in the front of the house flood the house with sunlight. The original wallpaper was from Paris, and the elaborate ceiling medallion and the cast iron surrounds on all three fireplaces in the house have been painted to resemble Tennessee Rose Marble. The wooden over mantle in the dining room has been identified by a Grant granddaughter as a house-warming gift from Captain Grant's crew. The kitchen is the only room in the house that did not originally have a room above it, as in years previous to this era; kitchens were usually detached from the home. The kitchen has gone through several renovations, but its basic size is still the same. Due to several restorations, the configuration of the house is different from the original one. There is now three bedrooms, and four bathrooms upstairs and the downstairs now consists of one bedroom, four bathrooms, a parlor, library, dining room, kitchen and an Innkeeper extension that is made up of one bedroom which is the office and one bathroom. Attic rafters are charred from a fire in the 1940s.
Chapel Bay - circa 1850s
821 Jefferson Street
We are pleased to announce that Chapel Bay, is not only a beautiful Gothic Wedding Chapel but it is opened again for the Tea House this year. Please be sure to stop by, where you will be greeted by docents who will serve you tea or coffee and freshly baked tea cookies donated by member of the the JHHA. The chapel was built in the 1850s, and it is said that the building was moved to Port Townsend on a barge from Bellingham, WA in the late 1800s. It was later to become the original parish hall for St. Paul's Episcopal Church. The chapel is one of the oldest buildings in Port Townsend, and from its first days as a church to its new role as a Victorian wedding chapel and event center, this charming old building links Port Townsend's past with the present.
It took over ten years and much persistence for the restoration to be completed, including bringing the structure's wiring, plumbing and access up to date while keeping the architectural integrity intact. Every inch of the building, which is largely original, has been restored. In keeping with the Victorian look, the current owner approached the restoration of this lovely building in carefully planned phases. After a lot of hard work, but with the utmost love and care, she was able to refurbish the hall's interior with the original windows and wainscoting. Improvements include heating and air conditioning, upgraded electrical wiring and new plumbing. Antique lights and fixtures of that period were added. The building sits atop a daylight basement and is anchored by 15 piers, 25 feet deep, which were drilled into the hillside. The basement is used for offices and has an additional kitchen and storage area. The open main floor has a small kitchen and rest room.
Siebenbaum Building aka Bergstrom Antique Auto Museum - built 1917
815 Washington Street
We are proud to welcome back this unique building to the Homes Tour. Though not a Victorian Home, this building does indeed have a lot of history in it. In the late 1880s and in the 1890s, this was the site of a big three-story cupola framed building called the Josh House. The building was a house and a store, both occupied by individuals being of Chinese lineage. Both structures still stood around 1905, when the property was bought by John Siebenbaum, Sr. In 1917, Mr. Siebenbaum contacted Harry Cotton, a local contractor to build the first fireproof garage in Port Townsend. During the demolition of the Josh House, they found a long tunnel about four ft. high and four ft. wide that led out to Fry's Market across the street. It had been filled in, but they followed the tunnel for about one hundred feet to Water Street. All along the line of this tunnel were pieces of Chinese money.
The new building was built out of concrete, and was a one-story structure with a basement. It was 50x100 in size and was to be fitted with all the modern and up-to-date equipment. This old, but very sturdy building has always been associated with some type of motor vehicle and transportation business, starting with the Peninsula Motor Company of which Mr. Siebenbaum was a partner in 1917. He later became sole owner, and hired W. J. Buhler as the manager in 1922. Mr. Buhler bought the company and the building was the service department for the W. J. Buhler Chevrolet-Oldsmobile Motor Company. The original show room and office was located across the street in what is now known as the Antique Mall. In 1973, Mr. Buhler, sold the dealership to Lee Rae, and it became Lee Rae Chevrolet and Olds for the next five years. Two other auto related businesses were in the building, including Skip Smith's Restoration until 1981, when Robin Bergstrom opened his Antique and Classic Autos Museum.
Palace Hotel, aka Captain Tibbals Building - circa 1889
1004 Water Street
This building is a beautiful example of Port Townsend's turn-of-the-century's architecture and was built in the Queen Anne Richardson Romanesque style. It was constructed for Henry L. Tibbals, a retired sea captain, in the amount of $28,000. The building's arched windows appear to extend for two stories through the use of twin columns that bracket each window bay on the building's facade. This is a three story brick commercial building and its front facade is divided in half by an entrance at street level that is framed by pilasters that extend to the third story windows.
There have been numerous owners of the building, all who contributed to the renovation over the years. After a long and tedious restoration of the building which began in 1976,much of the interior renovation completed by 1977. The two-story hall way was restored and furnished and ten stained glass window panels by local artist, Lucy Vane were installed. On the third floor where the "cribs" were located, from "The Palace of Sweets", the doors and windows facing the stair hall way were removed. The resulting expanse of wall which is 48' long and 14' high features a large collage done directly on the wall by Liz Svennsen. In the spring of 1984, under a state and federal matching grant, major foundation repairs were made and the long missing sheet metal cornice was finally restored. This completed the exterior restoration. Since being renovated, the building has been home to the Palace Hotel. The hotel occupies the second and third floors, with several specialty retailers located on the main level. The hotel features fifteen guest rooms, still bearing the name of the "girls". Each room is uniquely furnished with antiques, collectibles, and soaring windows with 14 foot ceilings.
First Presbyterian Church - cornerstone laid 1875
1111 Franklin Street
In November, 1873, a lot was purchased for $250 in gold, and the first stone church was constructed with the granite for the foundation and walls quarried out of the streets and vacant lots on the bluff of Port Townsend. The red sandstone used for the corners came from the Scow Bay Quarry, and the stone for the steps of the front vestibule came from Bellingham Bay. The cornerstone was laid on September 6, 1889. During the winter of 1876-1877, a frame building for a library and a Sunday school room was added, and a parsonage was purchased in 1879, at the cost of $126. In 1882, a bell tower and bell were erected and installed and in 1885, the manse was built at the cost of $1,650. This building was converted into a nursery and classroom facility in 1961. The old manse was renamed Hawthorne House and was converted to a fellowship center for those over 60 years of age. It has since been sold and moved to another part of Port Townsend. A new fellowship hall was dedicated in March, 1990.
When it was time to build a new church, the stones from the old church building were used to construct the foundation for the new building. A pipe organ that was built in Oakland, California, by Whalley and Genung, at the cost of $2,500 was installed. The organ pipes are ornately decorated and apparently painted by the same artist who painted the walls and ceiling of the sanctuary. An original unique feature of the church was the painted frescoes on the vaulted ceiling and the walls of the sanctuary by an artist named Chapman. The walls and ceilings were re-plastered in 1952, but because of the expense involved, damaged frescoes were not preserved. The sanctuary has three vaulted stained-glass windows on two side walls. The center window in each group is the largest and is enhanced by an additional vaulted encasement in the wall itself. Six wooden carved beams outline the design of the ceiling.
Many improvements have been made through the years, including the installation of a public address system, and enlargement of the pulpit platform with the choir seating to the right and left, showing off the large round stained glass window at the back of the chancel. Other features of the sanctuary are the ornate wainscoting, the oak pews, the wood paneling in a vaulted design that outline the back of the altar, the large circular gold leaf clock, and the large wooden doors at the rear of the sanctuary that open wide into the Fellowship Room. Many other improvements have been made to the building, including the addition of a kitchen, laying the canvas floor covering, lowering of ceilings in the manse and some church rooms, and the erection of a lighted cross on the steeple.
Clark Aldrich House - circa 1889
1123 Van Ness Street
The tax payer for the lot on which this house was built, was Clark Aldrich, who lived next door. Aldrich apparently built this house as a rental property.
Although sometimes lost in the shadow of the big glorified Victorian homes, dozens of smaller homes still shelter families and "they are Port Townsend's hidden gems." This house is significant as an example of a home built during the town's brief "Boom Period" of the late 1880s to early 1890s. It is one of the small more modest Victorian homes and has been identified as a "secondary" building - one with moderate historical or architectural qualities. It has elements of the Queen Anne style without the full set of decorative elements typical of the style. It is generally intact, with only minor changes to its historic appearance. The summary of property information from County Assessor's data describes the house to be a multi story house having a total area of 1,352 sq. ft., wood lap siding, concrete perimeter foundation, composition roof. An addition of 252 sq. ft. was made to the back of the house between 1891 and 1911, which was subsequently removed in 1890. An addition of roughly the same footage replaced it in 2005. The house was remodeled in 1993.
Lucinda Hastings House - circa 1891
514 Franklin Street
This house has a total area of 3,642 square ft., a concrete foundation with a basement area of 1,845 square ft. There is an addition of 576 square ft. There is a wood shingle roof and wood lap siding. It is two stories, occupies a commanding view and is admirably arranged throughout. At the time it was built, the entire building was heated with hot water. There were five beautiful and cozy fireplaces. The stairway displayed some of the very excellent work done at the Hastings Lumber and Manufacturing Company’s Mill. The fireplace in the parlor was finished in oak, ornamented with some of the most handsome designs. The stairway was built of solid oak, and was a thing of beauty. The newels were tastefully carved and ornamented. Those at the approach of the stairs were carved so as to represent the most perfect oak leaves, acorns, etc., the newel post being surmounted with the imitation of a mammoth acorn. The stairway was lighted by the three windows of jewel glass at the first landing, the center one of which represents “Morning and Night”, the other two were of conventional pattern. Mr. Charles Packard, who built the house, was superintendent of the Hastings Manufacturing Company, at whose mill all of the interior work of the building was designed and made. Using a large and somewhat cumbersome framework not substantially different from a farmhouse, Packard assembled a wealth of rich interior details in oak and applied to the exterior the customary brackets and spindles associated with Victorian well-being. The Queen Anne style, which began to supersede the Villa styles of the previous decades in popularity, was introduced hesitatingly in the bands of decorative shingles and the diagonal juxtaposition of the entry. Well-maintained and commanding in scale and sitting, it was undoubtedly an object of personal as well as civic pride.
Commanding Officer's Quarters - circa 1903
Fort Worden State Park
Frt Worden appears today much as it did when it was opened in 1902 as a U.S. Army coast artillery post. Fort Worden was the headquarters of the Puget Sound Harbor Defense System which included Fort Flagler on Marrowstone Island and Fort Casey on Whidbey Island. Troops arrived at Fort Worden on May 15, 1902, and the post was closed in 1953.
Enlisted personnel were housed in barracks on one side of the parade ground, with officer's quarters opposite. non-commissioned officers with families had their own row of smaller quarters.
Located at the end of Officer's Row, the Commanding Officer's Quarters overlooks Admiralty Inlet with the Cascade Mountains in the background. The late Victorian period furnishings (1890-1910) provide a unique glimpse into the life of an officer and his family during the first decade of the 20th century.
From the large veranda one can picture sailing ships and tall-stacked steamers passing to docks in the downtown area. The house "lives"-the occupants have just stepped out for a few moments. Reading glasses lie on an open book, and children's toys are scattered on the bedroom floor. Dinner guests are expected and the dining table is set with fine china and linens.
The home was authentically restored in the late 1970s by The Heritage Foundation. It is now managed by the Jefferson County Historical Society for the State Parks and Recreation Commission.