The Olympic Peninsula is a great area for all types of fishing. Salmon is a popular catch, The Strait holds trophy halibut and lingcod and the rivers have wild rainbow trout. It makes living on the west coast better ~ good fresh seafood and incredible places to fish!
Halibut and lingcod seasons open in May along with the shrimp season. June marks the opening of river and stream fishing throughout Washington. Crabbing opens in July on the Hood Canal and areas of northern Puget Sound. There are plenty of beaches in the area to gather clams and oysters, just remember "to call before you dig" if it is shellfish you are after, 1-800-562-5632.
You can crab and fish off most of the public docks in PT, Fort Worden Marine Science Center dock, Union Wharf and Port Hudson Jetty. All types of licenses are available at locations listed below.
Check the WDFW "Fishing in Washington" pamphlet for specific regulations and rule changes before you go.
Also check our Local Business Directory for resources.
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) - Statewide information on fishing and shellfishing (crabbing, clams, etc).
Phone: (360) 796-3215
WDFW Region 6 Coastal Washington/Olympic Peninsula - current information, conditions, reports and announcements.
WDFW Regulations - We are in Juan de Fuca/North Jefferson County Marine Area 6.
Washington Lakes - Reader's Report on Lake Fishing in Washington.
Puget Sound Anglers - East Jefferson County Chapter - Regional sport fishing organization.
Piscatorial Pursuits - Reports and questions on Olympic Peninsula fly fishing, and fish and watershed management concerns.
Where to get fishing licenses in East Jefferson County:
- Fish N Hole, 360-385-7031, 199 Benedict St, Port Townsend 98368
- Quimper Mercantile, 360-385-9595, 1121 Water St, Port Townsend 98368</td>
- Cove RV Park (Seasonal), 360-796-4723, 303075 US Highway 101, Brinnon 98320</td>
- Brinnon General Store, 360-796-4400, 306413 US Highway 101, Brinnon 98320</td>
- Port Ludlow Marina, 360-437-0513, 1 Gull Lane, Port Ludlow 98365
Peninsula Sportsman Guide and Outfitting Service - Fishing guiding and charters. 360-379-0906.
Bob Triggs - Little Stone Flyfisher - Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide. 360-385-9618 or 866-793-3595.
- Crocker Lake (Jefferson County) - North from Quilcene 8.6 mi. on Hwy 101, right at Public Fishing sign.
- Leland Lake (Jefferson County) - North from Quilcene 4.7 mi. on Hwy 101, West on Leland Cut-off Rd 1.4 mi, left at Public Fishing sign.
- Morgans Crossing (Hoh River, Jefferson County) - South from Forks 12 mi. on Hwy 101, East 7.4 mi on Upper Ho Road (Rain Forest Road), right at Public Fishing-Morgans Crossing Sign.
- Quilcene River (Jefferson County) - South from Quilcene 2 mi. on Hwy 101, West before crossing the Quilcene River Bridge, access on right.
- Tarboo Lake (Jefferson County) - North from Quilcene 5.5 mi. on Center Road, West on Tarboo Lake Rd 3 mi. on main gravel road to access at end of road.
- Van Ausdale (Bogachiel River, Jefferson County) - South from Forks 7.6 mi. on Hwy 101, East on Bogachiel Rd, 2.5 mi to access on left.